Spicy Orange Pasta
Pasta night now has all the fall feels! You might not have considered adding Ultimate Defense to your pasta sauce, but the rich flavors of turmeric and ginger alongside the sweet citrusy goodness of orange juice make for the perfect blend of sweet and spicy to top this dish. It’s simple to make on a busy weeknight, and the leftovers are even better – if there are any!
- 8 oz. rigatoni (uncooked)
- 3 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 4 oz. pancetta or bacon (optional, leave out if vegetarian)
- 1 medium organic onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves organic garlic (minced)
- 1 cup Uncle Matt’s Organic Ultimate Defense
- ½ cup organic tomato paste
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/3 cup organic half-and-half
- ¼ cup grated organic Parmesan cheese
- zest of 1/2 an organic orange
- ½ cup chopped organic basil
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta. While that’s happening, heat a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil and pancetta/bacon (if using). Allow the pancetta to crisp up, and then add the onion and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes, or until caramelized.
- Stir in the Ultimate Defense and tomato paste, and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add the half and half. Scoop in your cooked pasta (reserve the cooking liquid), and parmesan cheese. Give everything a good stir. Add in a little more of the starchy pasta water if the sauce needs thinning out.
- Stir in the orange zest and basil. Give the pasta a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve!