Top 10 Tips for Going Organic
Making the switch to an organic lifestyle may seem overwhelming at first, but with our list of tips it doesn’t have to be! Take your time and use your daily activities as your guide. Don’t be afraid to ask yourself, “Is there an organic alternative to this?” When you do, you’ll be making small steps to take care of your own health and the health of the planet.
- Clean up your morning ritual. Take a look at your bathroom toiletries and the ingredients label. The next time you go to the store for shampoo or makeup, opt for products that use organic ingredients.
- Encourage organic eating. Plan a small gathering for you and your close friends. Challenge everyone to bring a dish using primarily organic ingredients for everyone to enjoy.
- Plant a backyard garden. Plant organic seeds in your home garden. Once you’ve acquired your green thumb, volunteer your services at a local community garden where you can teach others organic gardening best practices.
- Start composting. Create your own compost pile with your kitchen scraps and yard clippings. Use your compost to help fuel your healthy, organic backyard and community gardens.
- Shop sustainably. Start with the basics. The next time you’re in the market for closet staples like underwear, t-shirts and pajamas, look for clothing made from organic cotton or hemp.
- Treat yourself! Tasty desserts can be organic too! Pick one of your favorite dessert recipes and change out one ingredient to an organic option each time you make it until it’s fully organic.
- Change out your cleaning products. Unfortunately, there is nothing specific that makes a cleaning product “organic”, and the more natural products will often be more expensive than the more traditional cleaning products. However, if you want to choose safer cleaning products look for products that don’t include phosphates and phthalates.
- Don’t forget your furry friends. While you’re making the switch to organic, look for pet-friendly organic food and treat options so the whole “fur” family can benefit from organic, too.
- Cheers to organic! Did you know that even alcohol can be organic? Over time, opt for organic as you work through your liquor or wine cabinet. In the meantime, use organic juices in your cocktails.
- Sweet dreams! Just like your clothing, there are many companies that offer organic linens. Crawl into bed while sipping on your favorite nighttime organic tea.