Orange Whoopie Pies
Kid-friendly sweet treats using Uncle Matt’s Organic OJ? Sign us up! These whoopie pies are adorable and the perfect bite-sized desserts for the littles. Whip these up for a full week’s worth of a little something sweet.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 4 tbsps butter unsalted, softened
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup Uncle Matt’s Organic Orange Juice
- ⅓ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Pinch of salt
Make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in eggs and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking powder. In a measuring cup, combine the milk, orange juice and vanilla. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop or two spoons, drop batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the tops are fluffy, for about 7-10 minutes. Allow them to cool on the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the butter on medium-high speed until fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then beat in the vanilla and salt.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the powdered sugar, milk and orange zest. Beat until combined.
- Pipe the frosting in a circular motion onto one cookie, then top with another cookie. Enjoy!
Recipe Credit: Brittney Chung