Orange Dinner Rolls
Add a little zest to your Thanksgiving table spread this year! Everyone will be asking to pass the bread basket for seconds — or thirds! — when they take a bite of these delectable crescent rolls. Now the question is… are you going to let your friends and fam in on the secret ingredient, which is Uncle Matt’s? We think YES!
For the Dough:
- 3/4 cup organic whole milk – warm (about 110 degrees F)
- 1/4 c. organic granulated sugar
- 1 organic egg + 1 organic egg yolk – room temperature and lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp. instant yeast
- 3 2/3 c. organic all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tsp. coarse kosher sea salt
- 8 tbsp. (1 stick) organic butter, room temperature
For the Filling:
- 4 tbsp. (½ stick) organic butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. organic granulated sugar
- Zest of 3 medium organic oranges
- 1/4 tsp. orange extract or ½ tsp. orange blossom water – optional
For the Glaze:
- 2 tbsp. melted organic butter
- 2 tbsp. Uncle Matt’s Organic Orange Juice
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add milk, sugar, egg and egg yolk. Sprinkle the yeast over top and allow it to sit until foamy, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour and salt, mix until combined, about 2 minutes. Switch to the dough hook and knead on low for 1 minute. Add 8 tablespoons of softened butter, 1 tablespoon at a time. Knead until the dough forms a soft, sticky ball, about 5-6 minutes.
- Place the dough in a large, well-greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 – 1 ½ hours (if you live in a warm, humid climate you can do this at room temperature, however, if your kitchen is cool, you may want to let your oven heat to 100 degrees, turn it off and let it rise in there).
- Punch dough to deflate, then place onto a floured surface. Roll the dough into a large 16-inch circle.
- In a medium bowl combine the soft butter, sugar, orange zest, and extract or water if using. Mix until smooth and creamy. Using a pastry brush or an offset spatula, spread over the surface of the circle of dough.
- Using a pizza wheel or pastry wheel, cut 18 triangles or wedges. Roll each into a crescent shape starting at the outer edge and rolling inward towards the tip.
- Place onto a well-greased baking sheet, with the tip tucked under (if it’s not under good enough it may unroll as it rises). Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 40 minutes to 1 hour or until doubled in size (again, you may want to do this in the oven if your kitchen is cool).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When the rolls have risen, remove plastic wrap and place in the oven to bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown on the tops. Remove from the oven and brush with the melted butter and orange juice. Remove from the pan and serve while warm.