It’s a New Year! Make Some Organic Resolutions in 2023
Can you believe another year has already flown by? That means it’s time to start thinking about New Year’s resolutions for 2023! We know, we know… resolutions are notorious for being broken a couple weeks — if not a couple days — into the New Year. Before you stop reading at the thought of making a commitment that you don’t think you can keep, hear us out. You can do this!
We’ve put together a list of 10 simple steps you can take and stick to this year to live a more organic, sustainable and healthy lifestyle. You can treat these guidelines like a checklist. You’ll be amazed at the lifestyle changes you can make over time. Cheers to you and your sustainable goals in 2023!
1. Start clean. Why wait until spring cleaning season to give your house a deep clean? The New Year is the perfect time for a fresh start, and you can use those couple days after your family leaves for the holidays to reset your home.
Take inventory of your current cleaning supplies. Running low on something? Add an eco-friendlier option to your shopping list so you can switch out this item the next time you’re at the store. You don’t have to replace everything at once but make a goal to go a little greener as you run out of products throughout the year.
2. Reorganize your kitchen. While you’re in cleaning mode, clean out your fridge and pantry, too! We all have expired condiments and staples that we forget to throw away. When tossing and recycling these out-of-date items, add replacements to your grocery list. On your next grocery run, make a point to look for the organic versions of some of these. It can be overwhelming and wasteful to switch everything out at once, but with a staggered approach, you could be looking at an entire organically stocked refrigerator and pantry by this time next year.
3. Branch out. Have you been using the same brands of some of your favorite food items for years? Have you looked at the ingredient lists on some of these products? We wouldn’t be surprised to hear that some non-organic groceries have long lists of ingredients you can’t pronounce. Here’s an idea – try something new! Again, there’s no need to go overboard, but don’t be afraid to pick up an organic brand you’ve never tried before. You’ll be doing better for your body and the planet with these sustainable swaps.
4. Tell your friends! This one is easy, but important enough to add to your goals. When you come across an organic brand that tastes great (who are we kidding, they’re all great), spread the word! Don’t keep these secrets to yourself. You can make a bigger impact by recommending these planet-friendly finds to your friends and family. Plus, some brands even offer referral programs and coupon perks. Take advantage of the extra savings!
5. Download the Merryfield app. While you’re doing all this organic shopping, why not get rewarded? With the Merryfield app, you can discover clean, better-for-you brands. When you shop for brands that partner with Merryfield and upload your receipts, you can earn points towards gift cards for your sustainable purchases.
6. Try some new recipes. It can be hard to keep your creative juices constantly flowing in the kitchen. Lucky for you, our website is loaded with fun recipes for any time of day and season (with a citrus twist in each one!). Set a goal to try one new recipe a week. Take that a step further and challenge yourself to use all organic ingredients in your new recipes.
7. Grow a greener yard. We don’t necessarily mean growing greener grass especially in the dormant winter months. You can, however, treat your lawn with natural products rather than with harsh chemicals and pesticides to support healthy soil and reduce weeds. Look for organic fertilizers at your local home improvement store. And don’t be afraid to pull those pesky weeds by hand!
8. Start a compost pile. Cut back on food and lawn waste and feed your backyard garden (and citrus trees!) with plant food you have complete control over – compost! If you already have a compost pile, congrats! You’re a step ahead of the game. Set your goal to keep your compost pile going and growing. If you’re new to composting, check out the EPA’s guidelines for getting started at home.
9. Swap your sweetener. It’s no secret that overconsumption of sugar is a problem in the U.S. Added sugar in packaged foods and beverages is only contributing more to the issue. What can you do this year to combat added sugar? Opt for no sugar added versions of some of your favorite sweetened items. Start with Uncle Matt’s No Sugar Added Lemonade and Strawberry Lemonade. You can also introduce your kids to the juice box versions of these fan favorites, too. Sweetened with organic Reb M stevia instead of cane sugar, these products are a great step towards reducing your sugar intake, and they taste great, too!
10. Raise a glass to organic! Celebrate the New Year and all the organic goodness you’re bringing into your lifestyle all year long. Whether you’re team mocktail or cocktail, we have a variety of beverage recipes perfect for no matter how you celebrate your organic wins. Just make sure you’re using Uncle Matt’s Organic juice when you say cheers!