Chicken with Honey-Orange Sauce
This combination of raisins, cinnamon, honey and almonds with orange juice, zest, wine and broth creates a rich, savory pan sauce for chicken. There’s plenty of the gorgeous, tasty sauce, so be sure to serve whole-wheat egg noodles, couscous or rice on the side.
4 servings | Active Time: 35 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 organic Florida orange
- 1 cup Uncle Matt’s Organic Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose organic flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless organic chicken breasts, (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and tenders removed
- 1 cup reduced-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup golden organic raisins
- 2 tablespoons organic honey
- 1 3-inch organic cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup slivered organic almonds, toasted
- Zest the orange. Then remove the skin and white pith from the orange, and halve and slice.
- Combine flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off any excess. Transfer the remaining flour to a small bowl, add broth and whisk to combine.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Add wine to the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add the flour-broth mixture, the reserved orange zest, orange juice, raisins, honey, cinnamon stick and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan and cook, turning the chicken once or twice, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 165°F and the sauce has thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving platter. Discard the cinnamon stick. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and garnish with the orange slices and almonds.
Per serving : 420 Calories; 13 g Fat; 2 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 74 mg Cholesterol; 37 g Carbohydrates; 31 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 395 mg Sodium; 587 mg Potassium