5 tips for a more sustainable & organic Valentine’s Day
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which means L-O-V-E, chocolates, flowers, and heart-shaped EVERYTHING. If you’re wanting to make Valentine’s Day (or any holiday) more eco-friendly and organic, we’ve got five easy tips for you that will warm your heart.
1. Buy organic chocolate. Even better, buy organic dark chocolate. The dark stuff is known for its health benefits, and the higher levels of cocoa have heart-healthy antioxidants. Not only will you satisfy your sweet tooth cravings, but dark chocolate contains a healthy amount of magnesium and iron as well.
There are many fine purveyors of organic and fair trade chocolates on the market. These options are not only better for the planet — and your body — but you can feel good knowing it was sourced ethically and responsibly.
2. Purchase live plants. We get it… there’s beauty in a dozen, long stemmed roses. But, those flowers you bought at the grocery store? They’re likely treated with pesticides. So, we recommend opting for a potted plant. Live plants help purify the air, and add a pop of color to any space — indoors or out. Plants benefit your health and are beautiful. Don’t have a green thumb? Opt for easy to care for houseplants such as succulents, rubber plants or aloe vera.
3. Think about investing in an organic mattress. Valentine’s Day is a great time to splurge on a new, organic mattress. An old mattress that is starting to dip, hollow out and sag can affect both sleep and sex. Investing in an organic, sustainably-made mattress means improving the quality of your sleep. What’s more, organic mattresses are better for the planet because the mattress is made of natural materials instead of chemically-treated synthetics.
4. Eat local. Take your Valentine out and support your favorite farm-to-table restaurant that serves healthy, organic food. Not only will you be supporting a local business owner, but you’ll also be supporting local farmers who promote responsible, organic agricultural practices.
5. Buy organic wine & champagne. An organic wine is a wine made from grapes that have been grown without the use of artificial or synthetic chemicals, such as herbicides and pesticides. In an organic vineyard, you’ll find other plants apart from the vines. The biodiversity improves the health of the soil and the plants by attracting beneficial insects, spiders and predatory mites. The fact that the soil is healthy enables the plant to draw the optimum level of minerals from the soil and a healthy plant is more resistant to disease and has greater longevity than one which is dependent for its existence on massive amounts of fertilizer.
There are may sustainably produced organic wines at supermarkets across the country. And a little tip: organic champagne or prosecco pairs beautifully with Uncle Matt’s Organic OJ!
Happy Valentine’s Day!