Florida Peach Cobbler
2# Florida Peach Meat (no pits), fresh, frozen, or home-canned, drained
½ cup packed light brown sugar (or to taste)
pinch of salt
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. flour
¼ tsp. vanilla extract
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
4 tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
¼ to ½ cup buttermilk, (or milk)
1 tbsp. cinnamon sugar mix for the top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400ºF.
2. Wash the peaches and cut the meat off the pits. Cut into large chunks.
3. Mix together the peaches, brown sugar, pinch of salt, cinnamon 1 tbsp. flour and vanilla extract. Put into baking dish(es).
4. In the same bowl stir together 1 1/3 cups flour, baking powder, salt, and granulated sugar.
5. Cut the butter up in to small pieces and toss in flour mixture. Using your fingers, break the butter into pea size pieces. Add about ½ the buttermilk or milk and stir. Continuing adding buttermilk until the dough just comes together.
6. Plop the dough on top of the fruit so it covers all the fruit, but leave a little margin around the edge with no topping. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
7. Place on a sheet pan (covered with foil or parchment for easy clean up) and place into oven.
8. Bake for 30-40 minutes until fruit is bubbly, and topping is cooked through.
© 2017 Chef Jennifer M. Denlinger www.FloridaChef.net